Southern New Jersey Section EmComm

Share EmComm: Ideas; Problems; Solutions & Questions -- Section-wide & Beyond

This forum is open to anyone, anywhere.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2022 7:17 am  #1

Week #70 Incident Status Report

GM, Operators.

Welcome to Week #70.
We’ll be working with an Incident Status Report this time out. (Select Template/Standard Templates/General Forms/Incident Status Report)

Please add Pinellas County EOC to the header with the Setup button in the form’s upper left.
Incident Name: Tropical Storm Waldo. This is an Initial Report.
Then fill out the rest of the form (as best you can) based on the following YouTube video:

Pinellas County announced evacuation centers to open - YouTube

Put DRILL DRILL DRILL in Box 6. Currently, there are no Casualties or Fatalities.
Please send your form to SNJOEM.

Have fun!
Tim
SNJOEM

PS: A supplemental post will follow shortly.

4/06/2022 7:57 am  #2

Re: Week #70 Incident Status Report

Supplemental:

GM, Operators.

We do a fair amount of typing during our Winlink Wednesday activities. In the privacy of your own shack it may be enough to “hunt and peck” the keyboard or type with your elbows. But will this suffice if you are deployed during an emergency – especially if you have the added pressure of a served agency watching?

There is a free and easy way to improve your typing skills. I’ve been using it off and on for the past year. My typing speed and accuracy have improved dramatically. Best of all, I don’t have to look at the keyboard while I’m typing. That alone (even if you’re only typing at 5 words per minute), would make you look more professional.

This is the website: Learn Touch Typing Free - TypingClub
When you click Get Started, you can take a Placement Test to gauge where your skills stand now.
Each lesson takes only a minute or two to complete. They are simple and even fun. You work at your own pace and can save your progress (and email address required) I was amazed how quickly I learned where things were without looking, and I was able to retain that information from lesson to lesson.

You don’t need to upgrade at any point.

I can’t say enough good things about this website and its methods. Over the course of a year (fiddling around a half hour or so, a couple days a week), my typing has sped up to a solid 30WPM and is closing in of 40. The best part is that I can now take dictation reasonably well without stopping the speaker constantly. And with a little effort, you can too.

In a perfect world, you’ll just let the served agency sit at your keyboard and do their own typing. In the real world, they may not have time or be available. There’s enough pressure during and activation. This is one of the things you can do to prepare in advance. If nothing else, take the placement test and then ask yourself, “If this had been an actual emergency…

As always, Have fun!

Tim
SNJWW NCS

PS: I have no affiliation with TypingClub. I am merely a pleased user.

Board footera