Southern New Jersey Section EmComm

Share EmComm: Ideas; Problems; Solutions & Questions -- Section-wide & Beyond

This forum is open to anyone, anywhere.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2021 6:12 pm  #1

Winlink Wednesday Week #27 Regular Winlink Email Check-in

GE, Operators.

This week we’re going to go back to a basic check-in: Callsign; Name; Location; Winlink Mode (VARA, ARDOP, Packet, etc…), sent to SNJWW.

No form, just a regular email message, but….
I would also like your feedback on last week’s message – and more to the point, its misspelled words.

I know the standard rule is: Send the message EXACTLY as you receive it.
Some of you have sent your thoughts on this and the exercise to me directly. Others posted on the SNJEMCOMM groups.io site.

Larry Nelson brought up what could be the most important tip for typing digital traffic: Never have auto-correct turned on in your software. It could wreak havoc with acronyms or strange served agency jargon and literally change the meaning of the message.

Misspelled common words on the other hand, are probably not such a big deal.

So, in addition to your check-in, would you answer the following question and add any other thoughts you may have on this.

Do you think traffic should be strictly sent as received, or is correcting non-vital words, or other minor errors, acceptable?

As I said in the after-action: The misspelled words weren’t meant to trip anyone up. They were there to start a conversation about “rules of thumb” and whether those rules need to be etched in stone or taken on a case by case basis.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Tim
SNJWW

Board footera