Southern New Jersey Section EmComm

Share EmComm: Ideas; Problems; Solutions & Questions -- Section-wide & Beyond

This forum is open to anyone, anywhere.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2020 7:27 am  #1

Special Event: World Pulmonary Hypertension Day

QST ALL COUNTIES: Please listen for, and make contact with, Special Event Callsign: W2H in the beginning of May. Operations will be on the HF Bands using SSB, PSK and possibly CW. Updates will be posted here.

From Jack K2JSS, Ocean County ARES:

On May 5th, Ocean County ARES will be running special event stations in recognition of World Pulmonary Hypertension Day. This is something that is very near and dear to me as my XYL, Jessica, has been battling this disease for the last 5 years. It is a progressive condition with no cure that causes narrowing and hardening in the artery which carries oxygen from the heart to the rest of the body. This leads to significant physical limitations as the body is slowly deprived of oxygen, eventually leading to right heart failure. Without treatment, the average life expectancy is 2 years. Although there are now treatments designed to slow the progression of the disease, average life expectancy with these is still only 7.5 years. Pulmonary Hypertension is very rare, and is considered an orphan disease. 

I do what I can to help raise awareness about this condition as well as funds for research. To that end, I have decided to combine the unique global capabilities of our hobby with World PH Day to not only help draw attention to this condition, but to honor and recognize those who -- like my wife -- live with it, and literally fight for each breath they take.  The special event station will be operated under the callsign W2H, mainly on May 5th, although I have the call reserved from the 4th through the 6th to help achieve as many contacts as possible. The event is already listed on the ARRL website, and will be published in the May issue of QST magazine. In the coming days, I will have it listed on other sites like QRZ, and will be publishing a website myself. Of course QSL cards are also being designed for the occasion. I am also working in collaboration with the Pulmonary Hypertension Association to publicize the event here in the U.S, and with their sister organizations around the world. 

Thank you for your support, 73

Jessica, Jack and Ocean County ARES

Board footera