Southern New Jersey Section EmComm

Share EmComm: Ideas; Problems; Solutions & Questions -- Section-wide & Beyond

This forum is open to anyone, anywhere.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2022 7:13 am  #1

Week #77 Winlink Radio Only Messaging

GM, Operators.

Welcome to Week #77.

I’d like to thank Reiner N2PEZ for not only suggesting this week’s topic, but also for helping to get me up to speed on it.

We’re going to delve into a little-used corner of the Winlink toolbox: Radio Only messaging via the Winlink Hybrid Network.

The scenario is: A nationwide cyber-attack has disrupted the United States’ internet infrastructure.

The problem: Despite the many other issues that will pop up, Winlink RMS nodes will not be able to direct traffic through the Winlink network.

A solution: By using Winlink’s Radio Only mode, EmComm operators can still get messages out. This happens in two ways. A Radio Only node (MPS) will either store a message for pick up or the MPS network will relay the message via RF to the receiving station’s local MPS node. (I’ll attach a link to a PDF that explains more about the Winlink Hybrid Network)

This week’s exercise:
Create a regular Winlink message Address it to: SNJOEM and include your Callsign; Name; and DRILL DRILL DRILL.  At the top, click the Send As button and select Radio Only. Post your message to you Outbox.

Then open a Winlink session in Radio Only mode. (This can be VARA HF, VARA FM, or Pactor)
Click on Channel Selection and choose a node that you can connect to. [For operators in the northeast, try to connect to one of the following MPS nodes: KB3PCY (FM or HF); AJ4FW (HF); or W1AW (HF). These are the MPS nodes that I have registered to use for Radio Only. They will hold my incoming messages without retransmitting them around the network.]

Please keep in mind that the Hybrid Network is very limited and can easily become overloaded. Always keep messages as short as possibly (see attached PDF for recommended size limits).
If you can’t reach any of the MPS nodes mentioned above on any band, find an MPS that you can connect to and send your message.

PART 2

Then open a regular Winlink Session (NOT Radio Only) and send SNJWW and Winlink Check-in Form. In the comment field put the MPS node that you used to send your Radio Only traffic.
[Operators in Cumberland or Gloucester Counties in SNJ, try to hit the KB3PCY-10 MPS over in Kennett Square, PA if possible. I don’t know if the VHF node will pass traffic to the same node’s HF side. If it does, this would be a way for operators that depend on VHF nodes to get traffic out of their immediate area if the internet goes down. W2MMD-3 or W2KBF-10 are other local options that you may be able to hit for traffic in your area, but they do not support HF.]

And that’s it. Good luck.

An example of how to use the Radio Only mode might be to post a P2P frequency that you intend to monitor. That way, you get the message out but move regular traffic off the Hybrid Network.

Reiner N2PEZ please speak up if I missed or messed up anything. And again, thanks for all your help.
Have fun, All!
Tim

LINKS to more info:

https://www.winlink.org/sites/default/files/RMSE_FORMS/radio-only-winlink-for-the-traffic-handler.pdf

Radio-Only-winlink.pdf (nmbcares.org)

WinlinkRadioOnly.pdf (pauldingares.com)

Board footera